News/ Reviews/ Links/ Archives/ Forum/ bringbackvinyl: a refuge for music snobs

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Constructive Elitism

"It is true that much of what we call "criticism" is little more than snobby sniping at things we deem "popular." Music lovers want to see their favorite band making just enough money to keep going; film lovers are violently opposed to their "art house" films gaining mass followings. Somehow, notoriety has been equated with artistic degradation. Too often, critics give in to this sentiment, devolving into a kind of self-indulgent snobbery. I indict myself as well. How many times have I looked at my CD collection with a smug little thought that I've avoided popular music in favor of the newest indie sensation?"

> Ryan Hamm, "Confessions of an Elitist" <

Read the rest of the article here.

3:08 AM *


<$BlogItemCommentCount$> Reflections:

<$BlogItemCreate$>

<< Home

-->