News/ Reviews/ Links/ Archives/ Forum/ bringbackvinyl: a refuge for music snobs

Friday, December 30, 2005

Best Of The Year - Part 9

Luke "the Cuke" Johnson is a music store employee/husband/white guy from Saskatoon, SK. He is everybody's favourite guy and the creator of many hi-larious tshirts.

"Jordan, here is my Top 10 list. I hope that you agree with most of them."

10. If I Had One Chance To Tell You Something - Rebecca St. James. I know most of you laugh, but honestly give it a chance. This is what we get after almost 3 years of no music. I think she gave us her best release to date! The record does not sound like a studio project of a single artist, it has a full rock band sound. And the drummer is amazing!
9. Healthy in Paranoid Times - Our Lady Peace. I can say I've bought two of their previous albums and was impressed, but what stood out about "Healthy" is the diverse acoustic sound these guys have made. They can perform rock, but this shows an entirely different, more diverse, side to this amazingly successful Canadian band!
8. I Stand for You - Tree 63. The first all worship album by the band that "sounds most like their album" live. If all worship bands had the talent these guys have, wow worship would be totally different. Not to mention there is only three guys in the group!
7. Never Take Friendship Personal - Anberlin. I've overplayed it a little here at work, but the fact that I have overplayed it speaks for itself. This album is a huge step up from "Blueprints". Amazing change a little vocal training can make! Along withthe most catchy alt-rock style I've heard all year!
6. The Great Depression- Blindside. Must admit, I haven't listened a lot to this record, but the three times I've heard it are well worth it making my list. The most diverse, random record of the year by far! These guys continue to amaze me. Listeners will not find as many lyrically catchy songs as "Silence" but it is a musical gem!
5. The Blueprint Dives - Extol. An amazingly talented band. This is honestly metal at its near finest. These guys all have bachelorette in music and put that training towards a career in heavy-kickbutt music. And you honestly get over the European sound pretty quickly. Since I am all about the drummer, it's hard to get any better on this sweet record!
4. The Evolution of HipRockSoul- 4th Avenue Jones. Best Rap album of the year! I think this measures upto the originality of the Black-Eyed-Peas, but holds a totally different feeling then the peas. It could be the drums mixed with organs mixed with DJing mixed with R&B mixed with Hip-Hop. The album title says itall!
3. The Everglow- Mae. Studying paid off. Apparently the band researched how people interact and what they want in music before making "Everglow". This entire album is a treat to the ears (and the eyes, see the album insert). I have not stopped listening to this all year. It just makes you feel good. Making it the top soft-rock/emo album of the year!
2. O God, The Aftermath- Norma Jean. I love that I could not get into this album until the fourth listen. But now I love it. This is, musically, the most creative album I've heard in a while. The scream is very easy to get used to, to the point that it becomes unkowingly catchy. If you don't buy it for the music, buy it for the album art. Which is up for a grammy by the way! WOW!

1. Vheissu - Thrice. Bought this record on one simple recommendation from my friend Greg. I have not been dissapointed since! Lyrically amazing, and very spiritual. Teppei Teranishi (guitars) honestly makes this album very entertaining. Mix of guitar with keyboards with some weird instruments is very diverse. Bottom line, buy this CD! You can't not afford 12.99!


Honourable mentions for 2005:
Life - Andy Hunter. Best christian DJ!
Disappear Here - LA Symphony. 2nd best rap album, much needed!
When Everything Falls - Haste The Day
Unique Like Everyone Else - Deepspace 5

7:50 PM *


<$BlogItemCommentCount$> Reflections:

<$BlogItemCreate$>

<< Home

-->